If you are looking to travel or take a trip for your first time or your fiftieth, and for no matter how long or short of a time period, some planning will definitely need to be involved if you want to make the most of your trip. While it may seem a bit troublesome, a little planning can go a long way in helping you to get the best out of your journey. Here we have five keys to share with you to assist you in making travel plans.
1. Save money, and not just in advance – One of the tale-old tips for taking a trip is to set a budget for yourself. This is going to take a bit of research, especially if your destination is one that you have never been to before, but the more you research your destination the more you can get an idea of not only how much money you could be spending, but how much money you should really be spending as well where and how to spend in order to get the most out of your trip. If you’re traveling to a different country, one of the first things to consider is the currency. If you are traveling to a country such as Japan, Russia or Australia, which have all witnessed a fall in currency, your dollar will go farther than it would at home, but if you are planning on journeying to some place like Paris or London where the currency is higher than America’s, keep in mind that it will not go as far. www.thrillist.com/travel offers other excellent suggestions for saving money in creative ways while traveling such as using the sharing economy, flying on new budget airlines, and using last-minute deal apps for things like flights and hotels.
2. Travel Websites – Don’t be afraid to hop on a browser and search for some travelling tips on your downtime. Using a few good keywords in your search such as “check my trip” “travel tips” “travel calculator” or “trip planning” can save you time, frustration and money in the long run. Try any of these great travel sites for even more information. Expedia.com, kayak.com, travelocity.com, whichbudget.com, hipmunk.com.
3. Drive or fly? – Depending on how far your destination is, one of the questions that you may be faced with while planning your trip is whether you can or should make the drive or take a flight. There are several factors to consider when making this decision. It will be important for you to weigh the pros and cons of each option including the time that it will take to reach your destination, you passengers, the cost differences, the different comfort levels of each, packing options as well as convenience among other things. A helpful tool has been provided on befrugal.com that will help you compare the options of Driving vs Flying.
4. Buying travel insurance – Not everyone is aware of the option of purchasing travel insurance for trips. The basic purpose of having travel insurance is to cover the costs that can occur if a trip is canceled, such as the costs of hotel reservations, plane tickets and other things that would be helpful to avoid worrying about. Purchasing an insurance plan with coverage for emergency medical expenses can be especially beneficial for anyone who is traveling or travels frequently for business or pleasure, is going to be traveling for a long period of time, or is taking an expensive trip. You can sign up to get travel insurance on websites such as travelinsurance.com by providing information such as the cost of your trip, your trip dates, how many travelers will be with you, your permanent residence and your citizenship.
5. Finding the best restaurants – There are a lot of different things that you can travelling to help you find the best possible place for yourself and/or the rest of your travel partners to dine. If you are travelling as a family with small children, a good idea would be to ask if a table is already available or will be available shortly. If there is not one readily available then you may want to consider checking out a different eatery for the sake of your kids. Now, if there are lines for a local restaurant, that says a lot. If the locals are in line then that means that the food is most likely pretty good so it may be worth the wait if you’re willing to stick it out. If you want to plan ahead on finding a place to eat, don’t be afraid to do some digging. Read some local food publications or what some local food bloggers have to say and download a dinner deal app such as TravelZoo to get the best deals available on food and drink.